I rabbit on and on about the need for practical bikes or Bikes that defy categorisation typified by my expensive but fantastic Bike for Life, hence my search for a Budget Bike for Life. My friend Dave reminded me of a potential solution: The Paper Bicycle and it is British!
The design, the pricing and the specification are all fantastic!
It makes an excellent Bike for Life.
Total price for a complete specified bike is almost exactly £1,000 and that is complete with:
- 8 speed hub gears
- front and year hub brakes
- hub dynamo and front and rear LED lights
- fully enclosed chain
- steel step thru frame
- stainless steel mudguards
- strong rear rack
- big air tyres for comfort, speed and reliability
This should be way up your list of potential bikes if you want something that is going to be:
- extremely low maintenance
- completely practical: carry stuff, ride it in any clothes, get on and off easily and stay clean
- faster than a Dutch bike and many mountain bikes (unless they have been adapted for road use)
Every bike shop should have these in stock to provide a real alternative to the unsuitable bikes they normally sell for town and city use.
Look at the superbly strong rack.
If this had been available with this specification when I bought Jane’s City Bike, it would definitely have been chosen over her Ridgeback (excellent though that has been – after I added all the missing bits).