At the regular meeting of the Leicester Cycle Campaign Group this evening conversation turned to why we love cycling in Leicester. I’m sure I have done this before (I have put some links below), but another go won’t hurt.
I love getting around Leicester on a bike because:
- It is fast. There are some shortcuts not available to cars and I can go direct to the door of my destination. Or sometimes inside, like today:
- It is convenient. I know how long it will take me and it does not change according to the time of day or roadworks or crashes.
- It is pleasant. I never get stuck in a queue and I can choose to ride through parks and along the river
- It connects me with people. I can chat to my neighbours, I can pause when I see friends, the schoolchildren who know me often shout Hi to me
- It is flexible. I can change my mind, add extra stops, fit in extra errands, adjust my schedule all very easily because journeys are predictable, there are no queues and no worries about parking
- It is fun. I love riding bikes, it makes me happy to move along by my own power. I love the daily miracles of of balancing on two wheels and noticing improving skills.
- It allows me to eat more cake without dire consequences for my weight
- It causes far less hurt and harm to other people and the planet than the alternatives
- It saves me money (lots of money in fact!). No fuel, no parking, no huge purchase cost, much lower maintenance.
- It helps my local community and the local economy. I spend more money locally because it is so easy (fast, convenient, cheap) to do so.
What about you?
Some older relevant posts – handpicked by me :