Sadly I can’t buy only British made parts for my Bike for life, there are several items that nobody makes in Britain 🙁
At the moment I think that realistically I can achieve just over 50% of the total cost being items actually made in Britain. As some of the non-British items are very high value (like the Rohloff hub gear) I am reasonably pleased to achieve that.
The following are part of my Bike for Life and are all British made 🙂
Hope are the next largest British supplier. I am buying several bits from them including:
- Front and Rear Hydraulic Disk Brakes. These are the Special Edition Evo M4‘s with 160mm Hope rotors (4 bolt rear for Rohloff and 6 bolt from for the Schmidt dynamo).
- Bottom bracket (ceramic bearings)
- Seatpost clamp
Just for their cranks. Sadly their website is not up-to-date. However, they make an Middleburn RS8 X-Type crank for external Bottom Bracket bearings to the Hollowtech II standard and they produce a version specifically for Rohloff which needs a 54mm chainline.
I will be fitting Infiniti3D security with the initial goal to make sure the wheels & saddle can’t be stolen. The goal is to only need to carry a U-Lock. That will then fasten the frame to something secure and everything else will be secured to the frame already
I should not miss Brooks out as I will be using my B17 Select saddle. But I don’t need to buy a new one as their lifespan is perfectly suited to a Bike for Life 🙂
Not quite there
- I like the look of Woodguards a lot, but in my view they need some form of edging strip to stop water running off sideways.
- I could have gone for the new Exposure dynamo lights, but they don’t make their own dynamo and I decided to stick with the proven Edelux and B&M.
Not at all there
Sadly I could not find a British manufacturers for:
- Wheel rims (Hope make hubs but don’t appear to make their own rims).
- Handlebar (unsurprising given that I want the Jones H-Bar)
- Dynamo front hub
- Belt drive
- Hub gear with wide range and plenty of evenly spaced gears
- Low rider racks
- Porteur style front rack
- Randonneur front rack
- Rear rack
- Grips (I am going for Ergon Biokork GP1)
- Handlebar tape